May 2 Exhibition of images from the archives of Manuel Ramos, the 19th century Mexican photographer at D’Lush Cafe (Wexford Arts Centre) and also at The Pig Yard Gallery, Selskar. Continues through the week.
May 2 Wexford Historical Society presents “The Mexican Connection: a brief history of early Mexico and some Irish adventures”. This is the final lecture of the current season. The speaker is Karla O’Connell-Sanchez Zepeda. Lecture takes place 8pm at St Michael’s Hall, Green St, Wexford. In the course of the evening you will get a brief overview of the Aztec Empire, the Spanish Conquest and Colonial rule under Spain. It then moves onto the war of Independence and the foreign interventions that followed. Finally it looks at the Irish presence in Mexico throughout this period, from the migrants who helped colonise Texas to the heroic members of the “Batallón de San Patricio”. Adm €5 to non-members.
May 3 Wexford Library hosts “Ofrendas Mexicanas”, a display of Mexican paraphernalia. This exhibition will also take a look at our links with Mexico. In particular there will be a focus on William Lamport, the legend of “El Zorro”, and the famous San Patricio Brigade. Continues until May 12.
May 3 (11am) Wexford Library presents “Painting to seek relief – from Exvotos to Frida Kahlo”, a 45 minute presentation by Karla O’Connell-Sanchez Zepeda. Refreshments served. No cc.
May 4 La Fiesta del Zorro – a sumptuous cena Mexicana at D’Lush Café, Wexford Arts Centre with nothing but the best authentic traditional Mexican cuisine. This will be the hottest (chortle, chortle!) ticket in town that weekend. Don’t miss. Time: 8pm. Tickets: €25 (includes margaritas). Tel 053 9123764 / 053 9123795. http://www.dlushcafe.ie
May 5 The Bullring Market in the middle of Wexford becomes “El mercado de la Plaza de Toros” for the day. Music, dancing, Mexican food, Zorro outfits, curios, etc.
May 5 (11am-12 noon) Little Artist Club at Wexford Arts Centre invites children to a music-making fiesta-style workshop celebrating Cinco de Mayo and all things Mexican! €7.50 per child. Tel 053 9123764.
May 5 (1-4pm) Discovery Club @ Wexford Arts Centre – Viva La Vida! To celebrate cinco de Mayo this session looks at the work of Frida Kahlo, one of Mexico’s most famous artists. Taking inspiration from Kahlo’s work children will create their own unique self-portrait shrine using a range of mixed media. Ages 6-12 years. €15 per child. Tel 053 9123764.
May 5 Mariachi San Patricio, a fabulous 12-piece band, celebrate el cinco de Mayo with a performance outside The Centenary Stores on Charlotte Street, Wexford (5pm).
May 5 Mariachi San Patricio perform at The Sky & The Ground, South Main St, Wexford (10pm).
May 6 “La Carrera del Zorro” – the inaugural 5 mile run starting at Raven Woods and finishing along the beach (actually finishing with a plunge into the briney!). Starts 10.30am. No prizes, no chip timing … nada. Just happens to be one of the most beautiful places in the country to run.
Follow this Blog by RSS
Register to Vote – exercise your democratic power
Just One More of a Series of Broken Promises
Family Tax? No Thanks!
Grand Theft: Water
A hospital for your family and your community
Archive of previous posts
Categories of posts
Local Political News
- RT @EOBroin: SBP RedC poll | FG 26 (-3) Lab 9 (-2) SF 21 (+5) FF 22 (NC) Ind 22 (NC) 3 weeks ago
- RT @sinnfeinireland: Our European Parliament candidates getting into the spirit at the National Candidate Conference #TeamSF http://t.co/5u… 3 weeks ago
- RT @conwaywalsh: Sinn Fein had doubled the size of the party in the last 2 years which has allowed us to achieve our over 30% female candid… 3 weeks ago
- Great to see 350 candidates from across the 32 counties at the National Launch of Sinn Fein candidates in Drogheda today#teamsf 3 weeks ago
- #teamsf 3 weeks ago
- RT @EOBroin: Don't be fooled by @labour & @FineGael promises on LPT reduction. Last election they promised not to introduce a property tax!… 1 day ago
- RT @DonegalDaily: PACKED MEETING AS THE PEOPLE OF LETTERMACAWARD OPPOSE POST OFFICE AXE: The huge crowd in Lettermac... http://t.co/FGdmx5m… 1 day ago
- RT @Jonathan_G94: herald.ie/news/graham-in… my latest outing in the Herald 1 day ago
- RT @mattcarthy: The wait is over! Here's my compulsory 'candidate casually putting up poster of themselves' photo #OriginalIdea #ee14 http:… 1 day ago
- RT @SarahAMcInerney: Sunday Times/B&A: FG 21 (-9), FF 20 (+1), SF 20 (+2), Lab 9 (nc), Indps 26 (+5), GP 4 (+1). Based on adjusted figures,… 5 days ago
Contact Your Local Political Representatives – exercise your people power
Ask Your Representatives: Whose Side Are You On?
A Contact List of County Wexford TDs and Councillors
Join Sinn Féin51444Make your voice heard