May 2 Exhibition of images from the archives of Manuel Ramos, the 19th century Mexican photographer at D’Lush Cafe (Wexford Arts Centre) and also at The Pig Yard Gallery, Selskar. Continues through the week.
May 2 Wexford Historical Society presents “The Mexican Connection: a brief history of early Mexico and some Irish adventures”. This is the final lecture of the current season. The speaker is Karla O’Connell-Sanchez Zepeda. Lecture takes place 8pm at St Michael’s Hall, Green St, Wexford. In the course of the evening you will get a brief overview of the Aztec Empire, the Spanish Conquest and Colonial rule under Spain. It then moves onto the war of Independence and the foreign interventions that followed. Finally it looks at the Irish presence in Mexico throughout this period, from the migrants who helped colonise Texas to the heroic members of the “Batallón de San Patricio”. Adm €5 to non-members.
May 3 Wexford Library hosts “Ofrendas Mexicanas”, a display of Mexican paraphernalia. This exhibition will also take a look at our links with Mexico. In particular there will be a focus on William Lamport, the legend of “El Zorro”, and the famous San Patricio Brigade. Continues until May 12.
May 3 (11am) Wexford Library presents “Painting to seek relief – from Exvotos to Frida Kahlo”, a 45 minute presentation by Karla O’Connell-Sanchez Zepeda. Refreshments served. No cc.
May 4 La Fiesta del Zorro – a sumptuous cena Mexicana at D’Lush Café, Wexford Arts Centre with nothing but the best authentic traditional Mexican cuisine. This will be the hottest (chortle, chortle!) ticket in town that weekend. Don’t miss. Time: 8pm. Tickets: €25 (includes margaritas). Tel 053 9123764 / 053 9123795. http://www.dlushcafe.ie
May 5 The Bullring Market in the middle of Wexford becomes “El mercado de la Plaza de Toros” for the day. Music, dancing, Mexican food, Zorro outfits, curios, etc.
May 5 (11am-12 noon) Little Artist Club at Wexford Arts Centre invites children to a music-making fiesta-style workshop celebrating Cinco de Mayo and all things Mexican! €7.50 per child. Tel 053 9123764.
May 5 (1-4pm) Discovery Club @ Wexford Arts Centre – Viva La Vida! To celebrate cinco de Mayo this session looks at the work of Frida Kahlo, one of Mexico’s most famous artists. Taking inspiration from Kahlo’s work children will create their own unique self-portrait shrine using a range of mixed media. Ages 6-12 years. €15 per child. Tel 053 9123764.
May 5 Mariachi San Patricio, a fabulous 12-piece band, celebrate el cinco de Mayo with a performance outside The Centenary Stores on Charlotte Street, Wexford (5pm).
May 5 Mariachi San Patricio perform at The Sky & The Ground, South Main St, Wexford (10pm).
May 6 “La Carrera del Zorro” – the inaugural 5 mile run starting at Raven Woods and finishing along the beach (actually finishing with a plunge into the briney!). Starts 10.30am. No prizes, no chip timing … nada. Just happens to be one of the most beautiful places in the country to run.
Download Ireland’s only Political Party Apphttp://appmc.hn/1zB2vfv
(iPhone, Android, Windows compatible)
Sinn Féin Alternative Budget 2015
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Our latest statements:
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
A Plan for County Wexford
Back to School
Join Sinn Féin
Text "Sinn Féin" (followed by your name, address) to51444Make your voice heard
Follow by RSS
- Greece is the word (but the bad tune is the Euro)
- Economic update – Gerry Adam’s was correct in 2011 hard-line stance to the IMF with the aim of getting a better deal
- Meet @WexfordSF GE candidate @JohnyMythenSF, Bannow-Rathangan (Killag) Show: read @SinnFeinIreland rural/agri policies
- Easter Monday Commemoration 2015 at Enniscorthy
- @WexfordSF #EasterRising Commemorations 2015
Archive of previous posts
Categories of posts
Just One More of a Series of Broken Promises
Family Tax? No Thanks!
Grand Theft: Water
A hospital for your family and your community
Local Political News
- A united Ireland will deliver a stronger economy and a just, equal and fair society
- Homeless crisis campaign drive with TV3 weatherman Martin King video by Simon Community
- Jim Cusack's Fantasy Island
- 'Labour and Fine Gael have no democratic mandate to implement Water Charges'
- Mary Lou McDonald hits back at 'abusive slurs' against Sinn Féin
- EU Ambassador to Israel now presenting an update on Israeli political developments. Cites EU concerns re. stone throwing & NGO legislation 18 minutes ago
- Follow @WexfordSF
- RT @newbelfast: Good gathering of Belfast Homecoming honorary chairs this morning. Rolling outcred carpet for @juanmariaburto #Kaixo Mayor … 4 hours ago
- RT @MohamedHemish: This is the toddler alive with his brother. They drowned in the Mediterranean w/ family ... #refugeeswelcome #Bodrum htt… 14 hours ago
- Tim Robinson captured it all in a remark:“Irish placenames dry out when anglicised like twigs snapped off from a tree-Manchán Magan 36 minutes ago
- Ireland can and should do more to help refugees - Mary Lou McDonald TD sinnfein.ie/contents/36263 5 minutes ago
- RT @QuercusBooks: Happy publication day @SpainJoanne! The brilliant With Our Blessing is out today! http://t.co/R9aWXv02Ga 2 hours ago
Contact Your Local Political Representatives – exercise your people power
Ask Your Representatives: Whose Side Are You On?
A Contact List of County Wexford TDs and Councillors