- Sinn Féin is opposed to Tory cuts agenda | Sinn Féin: Sinn Féin MLA Alex Maskey speaking after today’s meeting of the Executive said; “Sinn Féin is fundamentally opposed to the austerity policies and cuts agenda of the British Tory Government. The Tory’s Welfare Reform Bill is unacceptable to us in its current form. We will seek to make fundamental changes to it in the Assembly. Without significant amendment we will vote against this legislation.”
- Sinn Féin attend ICTU Welfare Reform protest at Stormont | Sinn Féin: Sinn Féin MLA Mickey Brady has reiterated the need to protect the most vulnerable against the Tory welfare reform agenda. Making his comments at the protest against Welfare Reform organised by ICTU at Stormont today Mr Brady said: “This protest is yet another manifestation of peoples anger at the Tory led welfare reform agenda. Countless groups have opposed this agenda which will drive more people into poverty. Sinn Féin oppose this agenda and have met with the civic, community and political sectors including the four Churches, welfare advice groups, the Equality and Human Rights Commissions and the trade unions which is why we are here giving our support to this protest.”
- Derry Sinn Fein | Sinn Féin meet with Villiers on Welfare Reform Bill: Commenting on the meeting Foyle MLA Raymond McCartney said: The Tory cuts agenda is not just an attack on benefits but these cuts will impact on lower income families, the disabled, the unemployed and the elderly, all of whom are vulnerable members of our community.
Ms Villiers for her part acknowledged that once again we have tabled a range of concerns and she indicted that she will continue to explore how these concerns may be addressed with her British government colleagues.
While we welcome this commitment from the Secretary of State we reiterated our stance that Sinn Féin would be unable to support this bill in its current form. Sinn Féin will seek to make fundamental changes to this bill as it passes though the Assembly.”
- McLaughlin calls for support for anti-cuts Rally | Sinn Féin: Sinn Fein Enterprise Committee Member, Maeve McLaughlin MLA (Foyle) calling for support for the anti-cuts Rally in Belfast this Saturday 20th October said: “Sinn Féin as the only all-Ireland Party is to the fore in opposition to the Tory austerity measures North and South. No matter if it is Austerity measures imposed by British Tories on the people of the North or Irish Tories in the South for an all-Ireland party like Sinn Féin our answer is the same – No to Austerity! Greater fiscal autonomy is required in the North.This would allow the freedom to generate revenue and to develop policies of benefit to the people of the North without the current restrictions. It would help facilitate an economic strategy which is underpinned by local budgetary and fiscal decision making. Sinn Fein will not simply allow unamended Tory cuts to social welfare to be implemented in here. We will fight tooth and nail to resist them in the Assembly. We will not shirk from our responsibilities to the most vulnerable in our opposition to the Tory Austerity agenda.”
- Hundreds protest against Home Help cuts in Dublin | An Phoblacht: Hundreds of Home Help and Home Care workers along with supporters marched from the GPO in Dublin to the Dáil… to express their disgust at the slashing of home help hours. Campaigners say that the cutbacks will force more people into care homes and have a damaging effect on the lives of disabled and elderly people who rely on such services.
- Cork City Council meeting stormed by 80 Household Charge demonstrators| An Phoblacht: Sinn Féin Councillor Chris O’Leary was asked by reporters if he condemned the protest. He replied: “I condemn the state people are in at the moment. I look at people who are barely surviving, people who’ve always paid their taxes, people who’ve bailed this country out, and they’re in a desperate state.”
- Campaign against cuts protest in Dublin | Sinn Féin: Speaking this evening ahead of the protest Ó Snodaigh said:“We are urging local Fine Gael Deputy Catherine Byrne not to vote for any more cuts. Only last year Fine Gael and Labour promised a new style of government but all we got was Fianna Fáil policies with a Fine Gael stamp. The government needs to wake up to the fact that it can not cut its way out of recession. The government must invest in jobs so we can grow the economy…We are delighted to have speakers from SIPTU and Communities against Cuts.”
- Wexford Sinn Féin | Universal Social Charge / Family Tax protests & statements
Download Ireland’s only Political Party Apphttp://appmc.hn/1zB2vfv
(iPhone, Android, Windows compatible)
Sinn Féin Alternative Budget 2015
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Our latest statements:
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
A Plan for County Wexford
Back to School
Join Sinn Féin
Text "Sinn Féin" (followed by your name, address) to51444Make your voice heard
Follow by RSS
- @WexfordCoCo @IrishAmerica @IrishCentral US Naval WWI memorial Wexford unveiled to flyover facing Comm John Barry
- My speech in favour of allowing Conscientious Objection on Abortion (motion 95) at #SFAF18
- Battle of Ross 1798 re-enactment: Sat 16/June 2pm
- The Unborn Identity: why accepting limited choice is compatible with voting “No” in this referendum
- Beware phone and “phishing” scams
Archive of previous posts
Categories of posts
Just One More of a Series of Broken Promises
Family Tax? No Thanks!
Grand Theft: Water
A hospital for your family and your community
Local Political News
- Backstop is the bottom line and must be maintained - McDonald tells Juncker
- British soldier to stand trail over Aidan McAnespie killing
- Sinn Féin will lead towards a new Ireland - Mary Lou McDonald
- Irish unity offers solution to Brexit problems - Professor tells Ard Fheis
- Unionists need to embrace power-sharing - Michelle O'Neill
- Odd story emerging about a local politician in south east. @SouthEastRadio @WexfordEcho twitter.com/garethocal/sta… 1 year ago
- A wonderful documentary @emmadeckerr a beautiful 'love letter' to your clann & to a generation of incredible Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- RT @Sultfeile: Counting down the days until #sultfeile, 12 days to go! We have an incredible line up including @Keywestofficial, Ryan Sheri… 4 hours ago
- Follow @Toibin1
- RT @ChrisHazzardSF: Delighted to have helped secure investment in resurfacing works for #SouthDown rural roads in recent weeks. More detail… 5 hours ago
- Xxooxoxzzzzzzzzzzzzz 3 hours ago
Contact Your Local Political Representatives – exercise your people power
Ask Your Representatives: Whose Side Are You On?
A Contact List of County Wexford TDs and Councillors