There are others who know the grieving family far more personally, so I would not presume to intrude on their great grief; however, I have been asked by several people in the media for a comment, as I am a public representative who lives locally.
This family is well known and highly regarded locally; for three generations they have built up together a successful contracting business, and innovative agricultural produce company. They are the proud participants and winners of several ploughing contests. Their neighbours and community are naturally proud of them all.
Any fatal accident is tragedy enough to one’s closest loved ones; but I understand there are young children who have been left without their father, and this makes the tragedy particularly acute and heart rending. Our hearts go out to them; I have small children myself, and I find it dreadfully difficult to imagine what it could be like for his family surviving.
My impression is that people locally are stunned. When a family like this is so woven into the fabric of a community, when a single thread is cut, it can feel like the entire tapestry could unravel.
Which is why I trust neighbours and friends will try to stitch them closer still.
May God bless them and give them strength in each other.
It’s certainly not a time for politics, but I would like to express a personal hope: that we might collectively pull together to achieve something along the lines of the Scandinavian model for a state-sponsored farm safety programme, that was implemented in Sweden over the course of five years. In 2013, they reduced farm fatalities to zero. Last year, the farm, fishing and forestry sector produced half of all recorded workplace fatalities in this state; two and a half times that of construction. For the sake of all all those families and communities, perhaps we could work together to achieve a zero number too.
Check you are registered to vote
- Political Archive (County Council work)
- Local Town Resident Marie Doyle to be Sole Female Municipal Councillor
- Important: public consultation – draft Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy for the Southern Region
- New Ross District cultural & entertainment roundup, this Christmas
- My final ever Municipal motion passes unanimously – no hard border through Foulkesmill…
Archive of previous posts
Categories of posts
Follow by RSS
- The clear message from the #RaiseTheRoof rally is the policies of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil have failed. It’s time… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Sinn Féin Alternative Budget 2015
Sinn Féin SME document 2014
Sinn Féin’s ‘A Plan for County Wexford’ 2014
Sinn Féin-led Oireachtas South East Economic Development Strategy 2013
Sinn Féin Jobs Plan 2012
Sugar Beet 2012
Back to School 2012
Sinn Féin-led Agri-Food Oireachtas report 2010
Just One More of a Series of Broken Promises
Family Tax? No Thanks!
Grand Theft: Water
A hospital for your family and your community
Join Sinn Féin
Text "Sinn Féin" (followed by your name, address) to51444Make your voice heard
- The Vultures are circling again – only Sinn Féin’s No Consent, No Sale Bill can defend Irish families
- Mary Lou McDonald: The people have spoken, it's time to deliver a government for everyone
- ‘Dodds comments on Martin McGuinness outrageous’ — Gerry Adams TD
- Lyra McKee: There can be no going back
- Easter 2019 Commemorations | FULL LIST
- RT @mfearonsf: Great day i mBéal Feirste standing for #marriageequality and rights for all. 🏳️🌈 Ba mhaith linn ar gcearta agus beidh siad… 16 hours ago
- RT @sinnfeinireland: The clear message from the #RaiseTheRoof rally is the policies of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil have failed. It’s time to… 49 minutes ago
- RT @AontuW: Bray Councillors Brendan Thornhill and Oliver O'Brien 'now open' for business! https://t.co/pUlSi2A3Ud 10 hours ago
- RT @sinnfeinireland: Thousands take to the streets of Belfast City centre to demand Marriage Equality. https://t.co/GIKNZWOvCC 10 hours ago
Contact Your Local Political Representatives – exercise your people power
Ask Your Representatives: Whose Side Are You On?
A Contact List of County Wexford TDs and Councillors