St Iberius Church, Wexford hosts a very special candle-lit Christmas concert this Friday focusing on some of the music and poems that make Christmas in Ireland so unique. Entitled An Irish Christmas | Nollaig na nGael the show aims to shine a light on how Christmas in Ireland is celebrated when you strip away all the razzmatazz. There will be no “dreaming of a white Christmas”, no fake-hilarious “ho-ho-ho”s. What there will be is a selection of music, songs, stories and poetry that are distinctly Irish. While this is the darkest time of year it can be a quietly joyful time. If this concert does nothing else it will give one an alternative and quietly entertaining take on Christmas, one which will hopefully appeal to all the family.
The show, which opens with Mary Forde reading Máirtín Ó Direáin’s beautiful ‘Cuireadh do Mhuire’ (Invitation to Mary); poet Fintan Murphy reads a couple of his own poems and ‘Sí an Nollaig í’ by Dónall Ó Colchúin; 5-part acapella group Credo go way back in time for their selection of sacred songs, with Conor Murphy on piano accompaniment; author, musician and spoken word performer Peter Murphy gives a rendition of Patrick Kavanagh’s A Christmas Childhood; award-winning poet Máire Ní Bhriain reads a short selection of her poetry as well as reciting Máire Mhac an tSaoi’s ‘Oiche Nollaig’; traditional singer Matt Murphy sings the hauntingly beautiful and poignant Christmas 1915; Ballymitty harpist Shelly O’Grady plays a set that includes ‘Boolavogue/waltz’ and ‘A Ray of Hope’; fiddle player Alice Wickham McIntyre, accompanied by guitarist James McIntyre, plays ‘Enniscorthy Carol’, ‘Fairytale of New York’ (instrumental) and ‘The Snow it Melts the Soonest’; uilleann piper Éanna Harrington performs a solo set (tunes tba); Ann Marie Corcoran sings ‘Winter, Fire and Snow’, ‘Life The Wings’ and ‘Scarlet Ribbons’. There may be a very special guest or two. No admission charge. Voluntary donations to Arthur and Aodhán’s Fast Appeal.
Organised by the Wexford town branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann.
Beannachtaí an tséasúir do gach duine agus athbhliain faoi shéan is faoi mhaise daoibh!
Check you are registered to vote
- Political Archive (County Council work
- Local Town Resident Marie Doyle to be Sole Female Municipal Councillor
- Important: public consultation – draft Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy for the Southern Region
- New Ross District cultural & entertainment roundup, this Christmas
- My final ever Municipal motion passes unanimously – no hard border through Foulkesmill…
Archive of previous posts
Categories of posts
Follow by RSS
- "Childcare cannot be an afterthought; it must be an integral part of the roadmap to recovery. "It's an absolutely… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Sinn Féin Alternative Budget 2015
Sinn Féin SME document 2014
Sinn Féin’s ‘A Plan for County Wexford’ 2014
Sinn Féin-led Oireachtas South East Economic Development Strategy 2013
Sinn Féin Jobs Plan 2012
Sugar Beet 2012
Back to School 2012
Sinn Féin-led Agri-Food Oireachtas report 2010
Just One More of a Series of Broken Promises
Family Tax? No Thanks!
Grand Theft: Water
A hospital for your family and your community
Join Sinn Féin
Text "Sinn Féin" (followed by your name, address) to51444Make your voice heard
- RT @rtetwip: .@EOBroin says there is no reason the Dáil shouldn't be meeting three days a week. Rebroadcast tonight at 2200 on @rtenewsnow… 2 hours ago
- Some TD’s and Ministers need a reality check. Easy for some of them earning up to €200k a year to punch down on low… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @claireaccount: Hi @meathcoco - spent the morning cleaning down by the ramparts again. This time there were just too many bags to take h… 7 hours ago
- RT @molloy1916: And there can be no excuse - such as, "We never knew." https://t.co/x5zLlTbgfw 1 hour ago
Contact Your Local Political Representatives – exercise your people power
Ask Your Representatives: Whose Side Are You On?
A Contact List of County Wexford TDs and Councillors